statement of intent draft

Statement of Intent:

My aim is to tell a story about a stereotypical teenage Asian girl and her struggles to maintain her parents’ wishes whilst trying to come to terms with her own desires. The story will show the journey for the teenager and how she struggles with popularity forcing her to do things that she is uncomfortable with. Throughout all of this, she writes everything down in her 'secret diary' that nobody knows about leading to the disequilibrium. Her parents soon come to find out about all of her struggles and are disappointed because they thought their daughter is well cultured and had strong values.  Through out my trailer, I will be using a slow paced song that eventually has a pick up that I can use during tensed/ emotional moments of my trailer. I will also have dialogue but a lot of it will be my main character narrating her story. My characters journey will show her trying to run away and during that scene I will have fast paced editing to create tension but throughout the trailer the majority of editing will be slow paced at normal speed because I would like to capture the realism of the moments.

 The main character is a 17-year-old girl originating from an orthodox Asian familyAndy Medhurst suggests stereotyping is shorthand for identification. This means we use stereotypes to tell the audiences a lot in a short space of time but can carry value judgements and therefore be negative, for example, the representation of the conservative Asian family within my film.   Her outside persona is of a good daughter following her parents’ wishes of a good education and practising religion. Although she pulls off a good front, she struggles internally with the pressure to keep up the good grades whilst having a social status which  for example forces her to wear clothes that are more modern and less conservative, that challenges the stereotypical view of an Asian girl, who would be well cultured, reserved, conservative and focused on her studies. The story is narrated by the main character and presents her story to the audience showing the difficulties growing up in an Asian house hold

 The main characters being teenagers will appeal to a large portion of the teenage mass and young adults. However there maybe use of strong language that may not be suitable for a younger audience and therefore may have a age restriction. I think my film will be aimed at more females than males because the main character is a female and it is her story. My audience would have enjoyed films like Bend it Like Beckham that also tells a story of a teenage Asian girl who struggles to fulfil her desires as it may not seem right in the eyes of her orthodox parents.

 The audience pleasures offered would be surveillance because the audience are learning what Asian orthodox parents are like but also personal relationship and personal identity is offered as some viewers may be Asian and would understand the struggle of having Asian parents. I think that having film posters up in malls as well as on bus stop stands would be an ideal way to reach my target audience. Also, they would be available on like for example ads on websites, but they would also have their own social media pages on Instagram and Snapchat.

 My film will be produced by B Good Picture Company that is set up by the director Joe Stephenson and my film will be funded by the BFI Film fund which funds low budget British films. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mise-en-scene task

Sound analysis

Capital: Representation questions